We understand that dealing with the death of a family member or friend can be a very distressing experience. It can be confusing to know exactly what you need to do to put the affairs of the deceased in order.
We will therefore endeavour to deal with the administration of the deceased’s British Gas accounts in a simple and timely fashion. We advise that you read this page in full in order to understand what needs to be done to finalise the accounts of the deceased with us.
In order for us to update our systems and organise a final bill to the estate of the deceased you will need to call us.
What you will need before you call:
- Executor’s Full Name, forwarding address and all contact telephone number.
- Whether the property is owned or rented.
- Details of the deceased, including their address details, customer reference number (if available) and date of death.
- An up-to-date meter reading, if available.
- If the property is rented the date the keys will be returned to the landlord or who is now responsible for the ongoing energy consumption.
- A date when you are likely to receive a Grant of Probate.
Call our Probate Department directly on 0800 294 3125.* Our lines are open weekdays 8am-8pm and Saturdays 8am-6pm.
Alternatively, write to us at:
British Gas Probate
PO Box 4805
If you do choose to write to us, please include the information asked for above in order to ensure that we can meet your needs.
If you require further help and advice regarding the administration of an estate and all the legal rights and responsibilities of the executor, please see the government website.
Find out how the accounts of private properties will be administered.
Find out how the accounts of rented properties will be administered.
*Calls may be recorded and/or monitored for quality assurance and compliance purposes.
Did you find this information useful?