If you're a British Gas customer or have British Gas HomeCare® cover, you need to let us know you're moving. This is so we can bill you correctly and move your energy supply and HomeCare® to your new address if you want us to.
You can tell us about your move by calling us on 0800 048 0202 (option 1)*.
Please have this information to hand, when you call:
- Your British Gas Customer or HomeCare® membership number.
- Your old and new addresses.
- A contact telephone number.
- Credit or debit card details to pay your final bill.
- Meter readings for both addresses (if possible).
- The name and new address of the previous occupier.
- The name and address of the person moving to your old address.
- If renting, the name and address of your landlord, for both properties, if appropriate.
How long will it take to transfer my account?
If British Gas already supplies the energy at your new property, your transfer will happen immediately. If we aren't the current supplier, it may take 6-8 weeks but your energy supply won't be affected in the meantime.
What happens if I pay by Direct Debit?
You will need to keep it active, if you have a bill to settle we will either take your payment via a debit/credit card or your direct debit. If you have credit balance we will send any refunds straight back to your bank. We will transfer your direct debit to your new address or cancel it depending on your preference.
*Lines open Monday - Friday 8am - 8pm and Saturday 8am - 6pm. Calls may be recorded and/or monitored for quality assurance and compliance purposes.
Did you find this information useful?