Home Emergency Cover Terms and Conditions
British Gas Home Emergency Plus Cover is underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance plc who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc will provide the services and benefits described in this Policy:
- during the Period of Insurance,
- within the Geographical Limits,
- following payment of the premium.
We will provide the services and benefits on the basis of the details You have supplied and subject to the following terms and conditions. Please read carefully, to ensure this Policy meets Your individual requirements.
The aims of this insurance
This insurance is an Emergency Policy and not a Household Buildings or Contents Policy. It should complement Your household insurance policies, and provide benefits and services which are not normally available under these policies.
This Insurance does not cover normal day-to-day Home maintenance which You should carry out or pay for, such as attention to items which tend to gradually wear out over a period of time, or need periodic attention. It provides cover for Emergency situations arising from sudden unexpected stipulated events that may affect Your Home.
We will undertake to provide rapid, expert help if You are in an Emergency situation arising from an incident covered under the Policy. We will arrange for one of the Repairers on Our nationwide list of approved tradesmen to attend and take action to stabilise the situation, remove the Emergency and undertake a permanent repair where possible within the limits of this agreement.
Meaning of words
Wherever the following words and phrases appear in this Policy they will always have these meanings:BRITISH GAS HOMECARE® AGREEMENT: An agreement You have with British Gas Services Limited which provides care and breakdown repairs for one or more of the following in Your home – Your boiler and central heating, Your Kitchen Appliances, Your Gas Appliances, Your Home Electrics, Your Home’s Plumbing and Drainage system.
EMERGENCY: A sudden unexpected stipulated event occurring during the Period of Insurance, involving Your Home which in Our opinion exposes a person to a risk to their health, or necessitates immediate remedial action to render the Home safe or secure from break in or from the elements, or renders the Home uninhabitable. An Emergency situation may include where damage is occurring or there is a risk of further damage to, the Home and/or permanent and irreplaceable loss of Keys required to gain access to the Home but not outbuildings.
EMERGENCY REPAIRS: Work undertaken by a Repairer to resolve the Emergency by completing a Temporary Repair that will resolve the emergency and any subsequent Permanent Repair up to the claims limit under the policy, subject to individual restrictions where detailed.
GEOGRAPHICAL LIMITS: The mainland of Great Britain plus the Isle of Wight.
HOME: Your principal permanent place of residence, comprising private dwelling together with garage(s) attached to Your Home, which are built of standard construction (brick with angled tile roof), all used only for your domestic purposes or as your office (providing no more than half the rooms in the property are used for this Purpose), and situated within the Geographical Limits above. Bedsits or properties with multiple occupation/residential or nursing homes are excluded.
KEYS: A key to any external door to Your Home (including garages that are attached to Your Home) together with keys to alarms and padlocks on external doors.
LOCKS: Permanently fitted or built in, key operated security devices to external doors including garage doors. MAIN SERVICES: Mains drainage to the boundaries of the Home, water, electricity and gas within the Home.
PERIOD OF INSURANCE: The period shown on the Policy Schedule which shall commence at least 14 days following the date You first applied and Your application was accepted for cover.
PERMANENT REPAIR: Repairs and/or work required to put right the damage caused to the Home by the Emergency.
REPAIRER: Repairs must only be carried out by approved and authorised tradesmen of Ours.
TEMPORARY REPAIR: The repair that will resolve the Emergency but may need to be replaced by a Permanent Repair.
YOU/YOUR: The person named on the Policy Schedule, together with the members of Your household normally residing with You. In Your absence on a trip away from Home, the person duly authorised by You as the key holder responsible for the Home.
WE, OUR(s) or US: The scheme administrator, Home Assistance UK Limited, for and on behalf of the underwriters, Royal & Sun Alliance plc.
What is covered under this agreementStep 1 - there must have been a stipulated event involving Your Home occurring during the Period of Insurance.
Step 2 - where the event has created an Emergency, We will provide the benefits for that Emergency situation.
STEP 1 - STIPULATED EVENTS1. Break-in or vandalism that leaves the security of the Home compromised and that has been reported to the Police (a crime number should be obtained before notifying Us of a claim for further reference).
2. Storm damage. This means damage as a result of a violent wind often accompanied by rain, hail or snow, which is causing ingress of water or is likely to cause further loss or damage to Your Home or its contents (Heavy or persistent rain alone does not constitute a Storm).
3. The accidental loss or theft of, or damage to Your Home Key(s).
4. Impact damage caused by falling tree or by a vehicle or plane or aerial debris or stone flown up by mechanical device such as a vehicle or lawnmower.
5. Pest Infestation involving wasp or hornets nests, or infestations of field or house mice, or brown or black rats or cockroaches in Your Home.
STEP 2 - BENEFITS OF COVERWhere the stipulated event has created an Emergency, We will arrange for a Repairer to assess the situation and carry out Emergency Repairs.
1. Roofing - Where Storm or Impact damage to Your Home’s roof has resulted in lost or dislodged roof tiles or roof fabric, We will arrange for Emergency roof repairs and Emergency repair of damage to the Home caused by missing or repositioning of roof tiles.
2. Glazing - External broken windows as a result of break in, vandalism, storm or impact damage or accidental damage caused by You (this includes conservatory Glazing where the conservatory is a permanent structure attached to Your Home).
3. Locks - Where damage caused to window or door locks as a result of break in, vandalism, storm or impact damage which comprises the security of the Home or its contents.
4. Accidental loss of, or theft of Your Home Key(s)Where Key(s) have been accidentally lost or locked within Your Home We will pay for:
4.1. A Repairer to gain entry to Your Home and make secure the point of entry.
4.2. The cost of replacing a single set of Key(s) to Your Home.
4.3. The cost of replacing Lock(s), including fitting, if the Key(s) to Your Home are stolen or accidentally lost together with any details of Your Home address.
In the case of stolen Key(s) then this must be reported to the police and a crime reference number obtained. In the case of lost Key(s) or Key(s) locked within Your Home, at Our discretion, We may choose to make alternative arrangements to obtain the duplicate key.
5. Home Keys broken in Lock - Where Your Key(s) have accidentally broken within a Lock of Your Home and You are locked out, we will pay for a Repairer to gain entry to Your Home and make secure the point of entry, including the cost of replacing Key(s) to Your Home if required.
5. Pest Infestation - We will pay for the removal of the infestation from Your Home
ALTERNATIVE OVERNIGHT ACCOMMODATION
In the event of the Home becoming uninhabitable and remaining so overnight as a result of an Emergency caused by a stipulated event under this policy or that is covered under Your British Gas HomeCare® Agreement We will pay up to £150 including VAT per night for a maximum of 3 nights for the following:
- Your alternative overnight accommodation and/or
- Transport to such accommodation
All claims for overnight accommodation payments must be pre-authorised and will be at Our discretion and will only be valid where a British Gas Engineer or Repairer has attended the Home and been unable to resolve the Emergency. Where more than 1 night’s alternative accommodation cover is needed all additional nights must be pre-authorised in advance by Us.
In any one Period of Insurance, We will pay up to a maximum of £2,000 (including VAT), in total for Emergency Repairs not exceeding £500 (including VAT) per Emergency, under this policy including a maximum of 3 nights overnight accommodation of £150 (including VAT) per night.
First check the circumstances are covered under this policy. Having done this telephone Home Assistance UK Limited stating Your Policy Number, on:
0845 076 0232**
MAJOR EMERGENCIES WHICH MAY RESULT IN SERIOUS DAMAGE OR DANGER TO LIFE OR LIMB SHOULD IMMEDIATELY BE ADVISED TO THE PUBLIC SUPPLY AUTHORITY, OR IN CASE OF DIFFICULTY, TO THE PUBLIC EMERGENCY SERVICES.
SUSPECTED GAS LEAKS SHOULD ALWAYS BE REPORTED TO NATIONAL GRID UK ON 0800 111 999.
WHAT IS NOT COVERED1. Normal day-to-day Home maintenance which You should carry out or pay for, such as the items listed below, which tend to gradually wear out over a period of time, or need periodic attention:
1.1. blocked or misaligned guttering.
1.2. damage to boundary walls, hedges, fences and gates.
1.3. any infestations of pests in gardens, or outbuildings.
1.4. damage to flat, tarpaulin, glass, plastic or felt roofs.
1.5. any event arising from circumstances known to You prior to the commencement date of this insurance including any pest infestation or parts known to be failing or in need of attention/repair/maintenance, or any inherent fault or defect.
Please note that the above list (which is not exhaustive) shows specific examples of normal maintenance to indicate the type of problem not covered.
2. Any fault with the boiler, warm air unit or heating system, any problem with Your home’s electrical wiring system or plumbing and drainage system.
3. The following incidents or circumstances are also excluded:3.1. breakage of internal glass or of any basin, bath, bidet or shower base.
3.2. failure of any services where the problem is situated outside the boundary of the plot of land on which Your Home is situated or beyond the part of the sole or shared supply system or piping for which You are legally responsible.
3.3. the cost of any redecoration
3.4. damage incurred in gaining necessary access
3.5. breakdown of, loss of or damage to domestic appliances.
3.6. wear and tear
OTHER EXCLUSIONS1. Claims outside the Period of Insurance. (The Period of Insurance is shown on the Policy Schedule and does not commence until at least 14 days following the date Your application for cover was accepted.)
2. Pre-existing problems or circumstances known to You at the time You purchased the insurance and which You did not notify to Us.
3. Any costs incurred when You have not notified Us and obtained Our prior authorisation.
4. Damage to Home contents.
5. Any claims relating to the electricity supply of burglar or fire alarm systems, CCTV surveillance or swimming pools, fountains and conservatories (with the exception of Glazing claims for conservatories) and their associated heating, piping installation and accessories.
6. Any amount payable in respect of an insured event where the cost is recoverable under any other form of insurance or maintenance agreement (or which would be recoverable but for the existence of the insurance provided under this Policy).
7. Subsequent claims arising from the same cause or event, when You have not taken or paid for the action recommended by Our Repairer to ensure that the original fault has been remedied, for example, by receiving a Permanent Repair.
8. Any defect, damage or failure caused by a malicious or wilful act, negligence, misuse, third party interference or faulty workmanship, including any attempted repair, DIY repair, or modification which does not comply with recognised industry standards.
9. Any claim when the Home has been left unoccupied for more than 30 days.
10. Not with standing any provision to the contrary within this insurance, it is agreed that this insurance excludes any loss or expense of whatsoever nature directly or indirectly caused by, resulting from, or in connection with any of the following regardless of any other cause or event contributing concurrently or in any other sequence to the loss: war, hostilities or warlike operations (whether war be declared or not); invasion; act of an enemy foreign to the nationality of the insured person or the country in, or over, which the act occurs; civil war; riot; rebellion; insurrection; revolution; overthrow of the legally constituted government; civil commotion assuming the proportions of, or amounting to, an uprising; military or usurped power; explosions of war weapons; release of weapons of mass destruction that do not involve an explosive sequence; terrorist activity
11. Loss or destruction of or damage or any loss or expense whatsoever resulting from:
a) Ionising radiation or contamination by radioactivity from any nuclear waste from the combustion of nuclear fuel.
b) The radioactive, toxic, explosive or other hazardous properties of any explosive nuclear assembly or nuclear component thereof.
c) pressure waves caused by aircraft and other aerial devices travelling at sonic or supersonic speeds.
12. Failure or malfunction of any supply, system or appliance serving the Home or any consequential loss.
13. Any loss or damage or expense or liability howsoever occurring unless specifically stated as being insured under this Policy.
14. Any legal liability or consequential loss arising from the provision of, or any delay in providing the services to which this policy relates, unless negligence on Our part can be demonstrated.
15. Costs associated with another property or communal/shared areas if Your Home is in a multiple-occupancy or multiple-usage block or building.
16. Equipment which has not been installed serviced or maintained in accordance with statutory regulations or manufacturer’s instructions.
GENERAL CONDITIONS1. You should declare all facts which are likely to affect this insurance. Failure to do so may prejudice Your entitlement to claim, and if You are uncertain as to whether a fact is material, it should be disclosed to Us.
2. You should carry out or arrange for normal continuous maintenance of Your Home and on the systems servicing the Home and You must take all reasonable steps to avoid or minimise any claim.
3. We will make every effort to apply the full range of services in all circumstances dictated by the terms and conditions. Remote geographical locations or unforeseeable adverse local conditions may preclude the normal standard of service being provided.
4. Your full compliance with the terms and conditions of this Policy is necessary before a claim will be paid.
5. If any fraudulent claim is made or if any fraudulent means or devices are used to obtain any benefit under this Policy all benefit and any premium paid shall be forfeited.
6. We will be entitled, if We so desire, to prosecute, in Your name, any claim for indemnity or damages or otherwise, against any person in respect of any sum paid by Us under this Policy. We shall have full discretion in the conduct of any proceedings, and any sum so recovered or secured shall belong to Us.
7. You must notify us immediately You become aware of the Emergency situation. If for any reason We authorise You to use a contractor appointed by Yourself You should obtain an estimate for the work and contact Us for authorisation to continue, You will supply Us with a written statement substantiating the claim within 28 days of reporting the claim, together with all certificates, information, evidence and receipts required by Us at Your own expense.
8. This insurance contract is subject to the Laws of England and Wales. These terms and conditions are written in English and all correspondence entered into shall be in English.
9. It is a condition precedent to Our providing the services detailed in this Policy, that You undertake to promptly pay the Repairer or Royal & Sun Alliance plc for all work authorised by You which is not covered under this Policy.
10.You should have taken out, and keep in force, a Buildings Insurance Policy covering Your Home.
11.If You intend to leave Your Home unoccupied when cold weather is normally expected, You must take all normal precautions to prevent frost damage, including turning off the water supply and leaving central heating on a low setting.
COMPLAINTS PROCEDUREWe aim to provide a first class service at all times. However, if You have a complaint regarding the standard of service You have received under Your Policy, the following procedure is available:
1. In the first instance please write to, Customer Relations Manager, at Home Assistance UK Ltd, Arundel House, Amberley Court, Whitworth Road, Crawley, West Sussex, RH11 7XL. Alternatively, telephone Us on 0844 880 8001* or You can e-mail Us on: firstname.lastname@example.org
If We cannot give You a final decision by four weeks from the day We receive Your complaint We will explain why and tell You when We hope to reach a decision.
2. Should You be dissatisfied with Our decision or fail to receive a final answer within eight weeks of Our receiving Your complaint, You have the right, in addition to refer the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service† at:South Quay Plaza,
183 Marsh Wall,
Telephone : 0845 080 1800
Your call may be recorded and/or monitored for quality assurance and compliance purposes. BT customers will be charged a minimum of 4p per minute for this call (or 1p per minute during evenings and weekends). A call set up fee of 3p per call applies from residential lines. Non-BT customers should check the cost of the call with their provider † N.B. Using the above service will not affect Your statutory rights.
CANCELLATION PROVISIONSCancellation by the Insured Person You have the right to cancel any policy of insurance within 14 days of the date of issue or receipt of the terms and conditions, whichever is the later. We will refund to You any premium You have paid.
If You subsequently give notice in writing or by telephone to Us to cancel this policy, such cancellation shall take effect on the date the notice is received or on the date specified in the notice, whichever is the later. No return of premium will be made. In the case of payment by direct debit instalments any outstanding balance of the full annual premium will become due
Cancellation by us: We may give 14 days notice of cancellation of this policy by recorded delivery letter to You at Your last known address.
Premium position upon cancellation by us: If premium has been paid for any period beyond the date of cancellation of this insurance, the relevant pro-rata portion of this premium will be refunded to You or Your estate.
Effective time of cancellation: This policy shall cease at 00.01 hours Greenwich Mean Time on the day stipulated in any notice of cancellation sent by Us or the day following the last day of the Period of Insurance for which premium has been paid, whichever is earlier.
This Insurance is administered by
Home Assistance UK Limited
Telephone: 0844 880 8001
Registered Number 758979
On behalf of the Underwriters
Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc
Registered in England and Wales, No. 93792.
Registered in England and Wales at St. Mark's Court, Chart Way, Horsham, West Sussex, RH12 1XL.
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority
The Underwriters are covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). You may be entitled to compensation from the scheme if the Underwriters cannot meet their obligations. General insurance is covered 100% for the first £2,000 and 90% of the balance of the claim. Further information about the compensation scheme is available from FSCS at www.fscs.org.uk or telephone 020 7892 7300.
British Gas Services Limited is an Appointed Representative of Home Assistance UK Limited who are Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority* Lines open 9am-5pm Monday-Saturday,
** Lines open 24 hrs, 7 days a week
Your call may be recorded and/or monitored for quality assurance and compliance purposes. BT customers will be charged a minimum of 4p per minute for this call (or 1p per minute during evenings and weekends). A call set up fee of 3p per call applies from residential lines. Non-BT customers should check the cost of the call with their provider.
USING PERSONAL INFORMATIONa) identify you when you contact us;
b) help identify accounts, services and products which you could have from us from time to time (we may do this using an automatic scoring system, which uses the information you have provided, any information we hold about you and information from other agencies, including credit-reference agencies);
c) help run, and contact you about the improved running of, any accounts, services and products we have provided before, or provide now or in the future; (we may contact you by e-mail or text message if you have given us these contact details);
d) create statistical and testing information and carry out marketing analysis and customer profiling (including using information about what you buy from us and how you pay for it, for example usage rates and any discounts we have offered you these are examples only and not a complete list);
e) help to prevent and detect fraud or loss; and
f) to contact you in any way (including mail, e-mail, phone, visit, text, multimedia messages) about products and services offered by is and selected partners.
2. We may allow other people and organisations to use information we hold about you
- to provide services you have asked for;
- as part of the process of selling one or more of our businesses;
- help to prevent and detect debt, fraud or loss. In addition, if you have failed to pay us, in which case we may transfer your debt to another organisation and provide them with details about you and that debt;
- if we have been asked to provide information for legal or regulatory purposes;
- as part of current or future legal proceedings; or
- if you hold an insurance policy with us, to pass information to an insurer to
From time to time, these other people and organisations may be outside the European Economic Area in countries that do not have the same standards of protection for personal information as the UK.
3. We may also allow your information to be used by other Centrica Group companies (including those using the British Gas, Scottish Gas and Dyno Group brands) for them to carry out any of the above purposes.
4.Your information may be used for training purposes. We may also monitor and record communications with you (including phone conversations and e-mails) for quality assurance and to make sure that we are meeting our legal and regulatory requirements.
5.We may pass your address, property and postcode, and details of your gas appliances, flue, hot-water cylinder, system controls and electrical installations (including details of any repairs or removals) to organisations that supervise these activities including CORGI (Council of Registered Gas Installers) and the ECA (Electrical Contractors Association). These organisations may pass this information to local authorities to meet building regulations. They may also use this information to contact you to inspect appliances or systems, recall faulty products and carry out audits, and for health and safety purposes. Where appropriate, we will give you or the property owner (or both) a certificate to show that your appliances and so on meet building regulations.
6.We will check your details with one or more credit-reference and fraud-prevention agencies to help us make decisions about your ability to make payments and the goods and services we can offer you. We have given a brief guide to how we, the credit-reference and fraud-prevention agencies will use your information below. If you would like more
a) We will search at credit-reference and fraud-prevention agencies for information about you and all the people you are applying with - if you are providing information about others on a joint application, you must make sure they agree that we can use their information to do this. If you provide false or inaccurate information and we suspect fraud, we will pass your details to credit-reference and fraud-prevention agencies. Law enforcement agencies (for example, the Police, and Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs) may use this information.
b) We will use the information provided to us by credit-reference and fraud-prevention agencies to:
- help make decisions about credit or credit-related services for you and anyone applying with you;
- check your identity
- prevent and detect fraud and money laundering; and
- manage your account
c) When credit-reference agencies receive a search from us they will record this on your credit file whether your application is successful or not.
d) The information which we and other organisations provide to the credit reference and fraud prevention agencies may be supplied by credit reference agencies to other organisations and used by them to perform similar checks. Organisations may access and use the information recorded by fraud prevention agencies from other countries.
e) If you want to see what information credit-reference agencies hold about you, you can contact the following three credit-reference agencies currently operating in the UK. The information they hold may not be the same, so it is worth contacting them all. They will charge you a small fee.
Consumer Services Team
PO Box 491
Phone: 0870 0601414
Credit File Advice Centre
PO Box 3001
Phone: 0870 010 0583
Consumer Help Service
PO Box 8000
Phone: 0870 241 6212
7. If you give us information on behalf of someone else, you confirm you have given them the information set out in this document, and that they have given permission for their personal information to be used in the way we have described. If you give us sensitive information about yourself or others (such as health details or details of any criminal convictions of members of your household), you agree (and confirm that the person the information is about has agreed) to us processing this information in the way set out in this document.