The British Gas Customer Board
In 2010 British Gas embarked on a nationwide journey to listen to their customers. We toured high streets up and down the country and gave 40 customers the chance to visit and question every part of the company.
The frank and honest feedback received was hugely valuable and helped make a real impact on the way British Gas is run.
But we didn’t stop there
To make sure that the company kept listening, and kept improving on the services offered, a permanent Customer Board was appointed in 2011 to oversee future progress and the recommendations previously set out by customers. And the group have already made a positive impact by giving impartial feedback on topics from smart metering to tariff simplification.
New members – and new priorities
In March 2014 the Customer Board welcomed three new members. Chosen to represent the voice of tenants and landlords, they join the eight homeowners already on the Customer Board, so it reflects our customer base of homeowners, tenants and landlords.
"Customers have seen a range of benefits as a result of the opinions, insight and challenges of the Customer Board,” said Ian Peters, managing director, British Gas Residential Energy. “The frank and honest feedback we’ve received has been hugely valuable, and has made a real impact in the way we serve our customers. And we want to ensure that our customers continue to get value from our Customer Board and believe the new members will add a fresh perspective to complement the experience and passion of our current members."
The Customer Board also agreed that in the coming months and years to focus on the following key areas on behalf of our customers:
Deliver great service
- Billing – making sure our bills are easy to understand, that they’re accurate and that we make our Direct Debit reassessment process work for customers.
- Vulnerable customers – giving more support to vulnerable customers and those who are finding it difficult to pay for the energy they use.
- Empowered people – giving our employees the tools and the freedom to deal with customer complaints, so issues can be resolved first time around.
Adapting to evolving customer needs
- Customer groups – making sure we really understand what matters to homeowners, tenants and landlords, so we can build our business around them and their individual needs
- Product development – in both Energy and Services so we can turn the idea of Connected Homes into a true reality with products such as smart meters and Hive Active Heating™.
- Building a better future – from spreading the low carbon agenda through educating children on the importance of being ‘green’, to developing the skills of our staff and creating jobs for the country.
Inform and engage
- Customer communications – with a focus on the positive action we take and making sure all our customer communications are clear and easy to understand.
- The voice of the customer – the Customer Board will help us represent the viewpoint of customers to Ofgem, the industry regulator, on key topics such as billing.
- Transparency in all aspects of what we do – to build trust.