The British Gas Customer Board
In 2010 British Gas embarked on a nationwide journey to listen to their customers, touring high streets up and down the country, giving 40 customers the chance to visit and question every part of the company.
The frank and honest feedback received has been hugely valuable and has made a real impact to the way British Gas is run, but that's not all. To make sure that the company keeps listening, and keeps improving on the services offered, a permanent Customer Board has been appointed.
The Customer Board began working with British Gas in 2011 in order to oversee future progress and the recommendations previously set out by customers. To date the group have already made a positive impact by giving impartial feedback on topics from Smart Metering to Tariff Simplification. British Gas look forward to continuing to work with the Customer Board throughout 2013 and the foreseeable future.
Responding to customer feedback has been, and will continue to be, a major focus for British Gas in the months and years ahead. A five point plan, put forward by our customers, has already provided direction for this. These are some of the benefits that our customers have already received since 2010:
- Newly designed bill: The focus has been shifted from what a customer needs to pay to the ways in which they can save money, as well as a reduction in clutter and jargon, and a simplified snapshot of energy usage.
- Reduction in number of tariffs: These are down to just two tariff types, fixed and variable.
- Customers now receive a personalised Tariff Check: Every 6 months, on their bill or online account, so that they know if they could be saving money on another tariff.
- Over 700,000 smart meters installed in homes and businesses: Customers can compare their gas and electricity use by the hour, day, week and year and set their own energy targets.
- Launch of Remote Heating Control: British Gas customers can now control their central heating remotely using either the internet or a mobile phone.