Posted by British Gas in Energy
Today, British Gas has received feedback from its Customer Board on the progress against the five-point recommendations set out in 2010. In the last year, the British Gas Customer Board has continued to give impartial feedback on topics from simplifying the tariff portfolio to smart metering, as well as the revised bill and annual statement design. More than 30 significant changes have been made, and more innovations will be introduced as a direct result of British Gas talking with its customers.
Customers have benefited from:
- Newly designed bill: the focus has been shifted from what a customer needs to pay to the ways in which they can save money, as well as a reduction in clutter and jargon, and a simplified snapshot of energy usage
- Reduction in number of tariffs: these are down to just two tariff types, fixed and variable
- ‘Video Chat’: British Gas was the first energy company to launch the trial of a customer service tool, which allows customers a ‘face-to-face’ experience with customer service agents
- Over 500,000 smart meters installed in homes and businesses: customers can compare their gas and electricity use by the hour, day, week and year and set their own energy targets
- Launch of Remote Heating Control: British Gas customers can now control their central heating remotely using either the internet or a mobile phone
Extending our commitment to listening to customers, we have also developed Your World, a new 50,000-strong online panel that will allow British Gas to share ideas and gather even more insight about what people want from their energy company, and their views on specific products and services.
Progress in customer service has also been recognised by Which?. According to its recent research (published on 19 July 2012), British Gas customers are receiving the clearest top-rated bills, payment policies and account management in the energy sector, topping the list with a five-star rating.
Ian Peters, managing director of residential energy at British Gas, said:
“Our customers are already seeing the benefit the ongoing opinions, insight and challenges of the Customer Board. The frank and honest feedback we have received has been hugely valuable, and has made a real impact on the way British Gas serves its customers.
“This year, the Customer Board has played a key role in redesigning our bill and our tariffs. Listening to customers is vital. That is why we are complementing the valuable work of our Customer Board with ‘Your World’, a 50-000 strong online panel of people across the UK.”
Ann Robinson, Chair of the British Gas Customer Board and Head of Consumer Policy at uSwitch.com, said:
“The British Gas Customer Board continues to work with the business to ensure British Gas remains focused on the needs of its customers. We are pleased with the excellent progress that British Gas has made in meeting the challenges we set in our five-point plan."
You can read the full report here.