Posted by British Gas in News & Communications
British Gas has just announced our commitment to roll out a new comparison table from April 2012 that will allow customers to compare British Gas tariffs and see if they could save money by moving to a different deal.
By the end of 2012 6 million customers in the UK will have had the opportunity to benefit from this simple comparison tool, and almost 9 million British Gas customers will receive a new style annual statement incorporating the comparison table by April 2013.
To ensure the comparison tool is clear and useful, we have worked with our customers* to develop the design - 80% of customers found it to be a clear and simple way to compare their energy usage, annual bills and the savings they could make.
In a clear table on the front page of annual statements, customers will see:
· How much gas and electricity they have used over the year, set out in pounds and pence
· A forecast of what they will spend if they remain on their existing tariff for another year
· The cost savings available on other British Gas tariffs – including fixed and online options – based on estimated energy usage
· Clear information about end dates and cancellation fees, to help ensure customers are on the right tariff for them.
Ian Peters, Managing Director of Energy at British Gas, said: “We are working hard to make tariffs simpler and bills more transparent. Empowering customers with clear, tailored information about how much energy they use and how much it costs will help them benefit from any savings available to them. British Gas is the first energy supplier to adopt this approach. If other energy suppliers follow our lead even more customers will reap the benefit.”
Leading the debate on the future of energy
Today’s announcement is the latest stage in our ‘Honest Conversation’ - a series of industry leading moves to help make buying energy simple, transparent and fair.
Working with our independent Customer Board, and after extensive customer research, we have already:
· Helped customers save money on a better deal; a “Tariff Checker” helps customers find and move to the right British Gas tariff for them
· Included a full breakdown of the costs that go into providing energy on customer bills, including green levies and company profits;
* British Gas conducted research with 1795 customers on 25th and 26th February.