Commercial gas meter - step-by-step
Commercial gas supply and gas meter installation
Are you looking for a new gas supply or meter?
An expert project team will help to organise your new commercial gas supply or install your new commercial gas meter. From your application form to full installation, we’ll make sure everything is looked after to industry standards.
A step-by-step guide to getting connected
1. Checking your service availability
(Over the phone)
Your project team will work with you to understand your exact energy requirements and to establish if there’s a suitable, live supply nearby – and what to do if there isn’t.
2. Laying your new pipeline
(Up to 3-4 weeks)
Once you’ve found a main gas pipeline, you’ll need connecting to it. Your project team will liaise with our service provider to obtain a bespoke quotation for the work required.
3. Getting your new contract
(1-2 working days)
We’ll match our service and expertise around the needs of your business. This means we can offer you our best products and prices. By analysing the way you use your energy, we can work out exactly what you need.
4. Installing a new meter
(10-15 working days)
If you require a new gas meter, your project team will organise this for you using one of our approved service providers.
Your project team will call you on completion to make sure you’re happy with the work carried out. Once you’re on supply, an Account Manager will take over and be on hand to answer any questions.
The above timeframes are estimates for guidance only, they may differ from time finally committed. Timeframes are for low pressure infrastructures only, medium pressure and above will have extended completion times (5-10 weeks). After a quotation for physical work, you may have to cover the cost of road traffic management and road closure licences as required by the local authority. Our Siteworks Terms & conditions apply (PDF, 573KB).
What we do
Our project team can help source, connect and supply your gas
- If you don’t have an existing gas supply, we can arrange the fitting of your new pipework and gas meter for you
- Once laid, your new gas pipeline can terminate at more than one supply point
- To use your new gas service, you’ll need a new meter. For us to install it, we’ll need your Meter Point Reference Number (MPRN) and the pressure of the service installed. You can find this on a yellow sticker on the end of the supply pipe – or on your original quotation
- If you’re a British Gas customer, we can change the position of your existing gas supply. To help you, we’ll need your MPRN number from your gas bill
- If you need a larger gas supply or meter, we can ask for an increase in load or pressure. We can only offer this to existing customers
- We’ll need your site plan when you send us your application form as well. It must show us where the meter is inside the building and also where the building is in relation to other buildings and local roads
Expert advice and support throughout
Our project team will talk you through what you need, establish a plan and explain how to get started. They’ll also show you how to fill in the application form – so we give you a clear and accurate quote, and make sure work is approved and delivered on time. We’re only ever a phone call away.
Looking after your safety
To ensure your safety, we only work with service providers who meet our strict HSE standards. We also audit our providers regularly to make sure they hold the necessary accreditation. It’s what makes us one of the industry leaders in safety.
We're signatories to the Smart Meter Installation Code of Practice (SMICoP), which means we're committed to making the installation process clear and easy for our customers. Find out more about SMICoP.
Once your new smart meter has been fitted and is communicating with us, you can benefit from the following:
- Automated meter readings
- Accurate bills
- The ability to manage energy budgets more easily
You can request for a smart meter to be installed at your business by completing our online form.
As a responsible energy supplier, we're dedicated to helping you use less energy and lower your bills. Find out more about energy efficiency.