Using Home Energy Top Up
What do I do if there is an Incompatible Browser message?
The Home Energy Top Up service is only compatible with Internet Explorer 7, 8 & 9. That means if you are using a different browser (e.g. Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Apple Safari) it will not work and you will need to change your browser to Internet Explorer 7, 8 & 9.
To do this:
- Close down your current internet session
- Locate the Internet Explorer icon (located in either your start bar, task bar or in the program list)
- Select this and then re-visit www.britishgas.co.uk/topup
I’m using Internet Explorer and I’m still having difficulties
Internet Explorer comes in 2 versions: 32 bit and 64 bit.
Home Energy Top Up only works on the 32 bit version which may be why you cannot download the Active X software.
You will need to change your internet browser to 32 bit. To do this:
- Go to the program list from the Start menu, select “All programs”.
- Do you have 2 Internet Explorer icons?
- Right click on Internet Explorer (Not the 64 bit version).
- Then select “Run as administrator” from the drop down menu.
- Navigate back to the British Gas website and go through the top up procedure again.
If this doesn’t solve your problem please contact us on 0800 107 0188*.
* Calls may be recorded and/or monitored for quality assurance and compliance purposes.
Opening hours: Monday to Friday: 8am - 8pm, Saturday: 8am - 6pm.