Let’s get this sorted.

We’re really sorry you’re not happy. We want to sort things out for you quickly, so please give us a ring on

0800 072 8632*

If you’d rather complain in writing, you can fill in our online form or write to us at Complaints Management Team, PO Box 226, Rotherham S98 1PB.

If you aren’t happy with how we’re handling your complaint, you can get in touch with Steven Crook, Managing Director Energy Customer Service via his dedicated team on 0800 107 0184* or email customercomplaints@britishgas.co.uk. Or you can write to them at the address above.

When you get in touch to make a complaint we’ll investigate fully and let you know what needs to happen next. We will say sorry for anything we have got wrong and may make a goodwill gesture, or offer compensation.

*You can call us Monday to Friday from 8am to 8pm, and on Saturdays from 8am to 6pm.

If you need independent advice

The Citizens Advice consumer service gives free, confidential and impartial advice. You can get in touch with them for advice at anytime during the complaints process.

Call them on 03454 04 05 06, visit, citizensadvice.org.uk/energy, or fill in their online web form.

They can also help you if you want to get a better deal, need advice about your energy supply, or are struggling to pay your bills. You can download their 'Know your rights' (PDF) leaflet here.

We always aim to resolve complaints as quickly as possible

We'll make every effort to resolve your complaint within a day of receiving it. However, sometimes it can take a little longer, so if we haven't been able to sort things out within 8 weeks, or if we can't agree a way forward with you (we call this 'deadlock'), we'll write and let you know that you have the right to pass your complaint to the Ombudsman Services: Energy.

The Ombudsman is there to help sort out disputes between energy suppliers and their customers. It’s free to use their services and they’re totally independent – they don’t take sides and their decisions are based only on the information they have.

You don’t have to accept their decision, but if you do, we’ll act on what they say. That might mean saying sorry, explaining what’s gone wrong, fixing the problem or paying you compensation.

You’ll find the Ombudsman’s factsheet, which gives you full details of their services and how they can help, by visiting ombudsman-services.org/energy. You can call them on 0330 440 1624 (textphone 0330 440 1600) or email osenquiries@os-energy.org.

If you would also like to view a copy of the "Gas & Electricity (Consumer complaint handling standards) Regulations 2008", please visit www.legislation.gov.uk.