Energy saving tips
How can I make sure I’m heating my home efficiently?
There seems to be a problem playing this YouTube video
To view please try one of the following options:
- Check your YouTube access
- Or go direct to YouTube
Thermostats and thermostatic radiator valves
The right controls will let you set your heating and hot water to come on and off when you really need them, or set how warm you want each area of your home to be.
Radiators and underfloor heating
If radiators heat your home:
- Set your timer 15-30 minutes before you need your room to be warm, when you wake up in the morning for example, so that it has time to reach your chosen temperature.
- Turn your heating off 30 minutes before you leave home or go to bed and the heat already built up will keep your house warm.
If you have underfloor heating in your home:
- Set your timer about 45 minutes before you need your room to be warm, when you wake up in the morning for example, so that it has time to reach the required temperature.
- Turn your heating off 15 minutes before you leave home or go to bed and use the heat already built up to warm your house.
There are 3 main types of boiler you may have in your home: