Warm Home Discount Scheme
Our Year 3 Scheme opened on May 1st 2013.
What is the Warm Home Discount Scheme?
The Warm Home Discount (WHD) Scheme is a 5 year programme introduced by the Government in April 2011 and administered by energy suppliers to provide rebates on the electricity bills of households that need it most in England, Scotland, and Wales.
The Warm Home Discount Scheme (WHDS) offers eligible customers a one-off payment on their electricity bill. For Winter 2013/14, this will be £135.
The WHDS separates eligible households into two groups - the 'Core' group and the 'Broader' group.
Pension Credit customers who are automatically considered for the discount.
If you meet the following conditions, you do not need to do anything now to get your discount in 2013/2014. The Government will write to all those potentially eligible for the winter 2013/14 discount in autumn 2013.
You may qualify for this energy discount if on 20 July 2013 (the qualifying date) you are either:
- aged under 75 and receiving only the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit (no Savings Credit) OR
- aged 75 or over and are receiving the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit, (even if you get Savings Credit as well).
To find out more about the eligibility criteria, please visit this page:
Under the WHDS, suppliers have discretion over which households fall under their Broader group criteria. Each company has its own set of qualifying conditions.
British Gas uses a wide set of criteria in order to provide support to a greater number of households.
Who is eligible?
Broader group is open to existing customers who must continue to be in supply of their electricity with British Gas when the payments are made in Winter 2013/14 (which could be any time up to 31st March 2014).
In order to qualify for the Warm Home Discount you are required to meet the following criteria:
- In receipt of the Savings or Guarantee & Savings element of the State Pension Credit (unless already qualifying as part of Core Group - see above).
- In receipt of one of the following means tested eligible benefits.
- Income related employment and support allowance (which includes a Work Related activity or Support component).
- Income based Jobseekers' Allowance.
- Income Support.
- Customer household has an annual income of less than £16,190 and the account holder is living with a mental or physical disability or illness, or there is an element of vulnerability in the home, e.g
- Households with children aged 5 years or under.
- Account holder (or partner) aged 62 or over.
- Customer household has an annual income of less than £16,190 and spends 10% or more of their household annual income on fuel for adequate heating (usually 21 degrees for the main living room, and 18 degrees for other occupied rooms).
Please note that we may ask you for documentary evidence to support your claim, as required by Scheme Guidelines.
If you think you may be eligible and wish to register
You can apply online at https://britishgaswarmhomediscount.com.
Or alternatively please contact
For our Prepayment Customers Contact: 0800 294 8604
For our Credit Customers Contact: 0800 072 8625
You will need to apply for the scheme each year in order to be considered for payment.
Please note, the closure date to apply for Year 3 of the scheme is 31st January 2014 - all applications must be received and assessed by this date to determine if you qualify.
In order to complete a registration we will need details of all the benefits you are in receipt of and amounts, as well as any other household income. Please have this information to hand when you call.
How does it work?
A one-off payment of £135 (inclusive of VAT) will be provided to customers as a payment credited to their electricity account during the Winter (and before 31st March 2014); subject to scheme criteria being met. There will be no alternate methods of payment available.
Our Pay As You Go customers will receive the £135 credit on their electricity key or meter during the winter (and before 31st March 2014);
Please note, the payment may be used to offset any balance outstanding.
 Eligibility requires the customer household to include a child aged 5 years or under or for the account holder (or partner) to be in receipt of Child Tax Credit that also includes disability or severe disability element, Disability Premium, or Pensioner Premium.
 Household income includes War Disablement Pension, Disablement Pension Allowance and Working Tax Credit. Household income excludes Council Tax Benefit, Housing Benefit, Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance, and Child Tax Credit; and is before tax and National Insurance are deducted (gross income).
To apply and discuss eligibility
Prepayment Customers can contact:
0800 294 8604
Credit Customers can contact:
0800 072 8625