By law, under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, it’s your responsibility to get a gas safety certificate (CP12) every twelve months. You must get this from a Gas Safe Registered engineer for all pipe work, gas appliances and flues installed at your property.

If you use an agent to manage your property, you need to make sure your contract clearly states in black and white whose responsibility it is to carry out maintenance on gas appliances. You must also keep copies of all the paperwork. You’ll need to keep a record of the safety inspection for two years, and give a copy to all of your tenants within 28 days of the inspection. If your tenants change, they’ll need a copy of the Gas safety certificate (CP12) before they move in. If your contract says the agent is responsible, then the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 are passed on to them.

Top tips

  • Legally you only have to carry out a gas safety inspection every twelve months, but it’s a good idea to get appliances checked between tenants too. Then you’ll be sure your appliances are in tip-top condition before your new tenants move in.
  • Installing a Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarm comes highly recommended – not just by us, but by HSE too. It’s the best way to make sure your tenants are safe from dangers of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. But an alarm should never replace regular maintenance and safety checks.
  • From the 1st of October 2012 carbon monoxide legislation will be coming into place in England and Wales, this means that a carbon monoxide alarm must be fitted in the same room as a new or replacement fixed solid fuel gas or oil heating appliance. The alarm may be hard wired or battery powered to comply, but hard wired is the preferred option.

What you’ll get with a gas safety certificate (CP12):

  • Your gas appliances will be checked for gas tightness.
  • If test points are available, standing and working pressure will be tested.
  • Your Gas Safe engineer will check burner pressure and gas rate against the manufacturers data plate.
  • Checks will be carried out for the provision of all necessary ventilation.
  • Flue flow will be tested to make sure products of combustion are removed.
  • All flame failure devices will be checked for satisfactory operation.
  • Where appropriate checks will be made for physical stability, presence and effectiveness of stability brackets.
  • Investigations for any evidence of unsafe operation will be made and reported.

Without completing all of the above checks an appliance can not be issued a gas safety certificate (CP12). 

You may also be interested in

Gas safety certificate (CP12)

British Gas can help you with your gas safety certificate (CP12).

Find out more

Carbon Monoxide alarm

Keeping your family safe is our number one priority at British Gas.

Find out more

* Phone lines are open weekdays 8am - 8pm and Saturdays 8am - 6pm. Out of hours answer phone service is available. Calls may be monitored.