It’s never been easier to generate your own energy from solar PV panels - a clean and reliable way to put the sun’s energy to good use. Use our simple checklist and interactive map to see if solar energy is right for you and your home.
Our 5-point solar PV checklist
- My home already has a metered electricity supply.
- I own the freehold of my property If you own a leasehold property, you'll need permission from the freeholder. If you rent, you'll need landlord permission.
- My property is not a basement or mid-floor flat. As solar panels are roof-mounted, these properties are unsuitable.
- My property is not a listed building or in a conservation area.
You don't normally need planning permission for most home solar energy systems, but it’s a good idea to check with your local planning officer, especially if your building is listed, or in a conservation area or World Heritage Site.
- I have an unshaded east, south or west-facing roof space. Solar panels are not effective in heavily shaded or north-facing roof spaces.
If you can say yes to all these points, your home may be suitable for a solar electricity system.
Use our interactive map to check that your roof is east, south or west facing.
To find out more call us on 0800 084 1595
You may also be interested in
Find out about solar
Or call us on 0800 084 1595
Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, Sat 8am-4pm
Read our articles on solar