How do I upgrade to a smart meter?
We’re rolling out smart meters to all our customers between now and 2020, meaning everyone will get one for electricity and one for gas over the next few years.
We're taking a phased approach with our smart rollout, and have begun installing smart meters to households where old meters are nearing the end of their operational life. Here, instead of replacing them with another standard meter, we will upgrade the meter to a smart meter. So, If your meter is due to be replaced you don't need to do anything. We will contact you to arrange for one of our Smart Energy Experts to carry out a meter upgrade.
Because the technology is quite new not everyone can have one straight away - for example, if the communication signal in your area (which the meter uses to send us your readings) isn't quite strong enough yet, or if you have pay-as-you-go meters, you may have to wait a little bit longer for your upgrade.
We're working hard to make sure all our customers' meter types can be supported, so that all our customers can benefit from smart meters.
We want all our customers to be able to enjoy the benefits that smart meters bring, and customers who are currently not eligible will be upgraded in the near future as the technology for their individual situation becomes available. All customers will be offered a smart meter by 2020 so they can rest assured that we will be contacting them before this date.
Smart meters will bring you:
- Visibility of your gas and electricity use
- A concrete opportunity to identify waste and save on your bill
- Peace of mind as you no longer have to submit your own meter readings
If you want your home to be upgraded to smart meters you can:
- Register your interest now via the Get a smart meter online form.
- Alternatively you can wait until we contact you to arrange for one of our Smart Energy Experts to carry out the meter upgrade as part of our phased roll out.