Access for all. We're working to make sure everyone can use our website.
At British Gas, we work hard to provide products and services that are helpful for all our customers. The same goes for our website and our app. We want everyone to be able to use this site and app - including people with sight, hearing, physical and any other disabilities.
- Accessibility - our pledge to you
- Video relay for British Sign Language users
- Reporting Accessibility Issues
- Technical information on the accessibility of our website and app
- Non-accessible content
- Helpful websites
This accessibility statement applies to britishgas.co.uk and the British Gas mobile app.
We know there isn't a one-size-fits-all approach to making our site accessible. So if you're having problems using this site, please let us know. We'll try to find a way for you to access our content.
British Gas are committed to meeting the recognised Standard of Accessibility (Level AA) Standards. We also believe in listening to our customers - working with professional testers so that we may make it easier and simpler to navigate through our website and app. We also ensure they work with the most common accessibility tools - like speech recognition tools, screen readers and magnifiers.
The website has been created and is managed so that as many British Gas customers as possible can use it. For example, that means you should be able to:
- change colours, contrast levels and fonts
- zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS and NVDA)
- Listen to the British Gas Apps using the latest operating systems for VoiceOver (Apple) and Talkback (Android)
We’re helping our customers by:
- making sure our website and app meet the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1 Level AA standard
- testing our online platform with customers and professional testers, so they work as well as they possibly can
- continuously monitoring to ensure our website and British Gas app works with commonly used assistive technologies
Supported Browsers and Mobile Devices
We’ve also made the website and mobile app text as simple as possible to understand. Please note that this website may not function correctly if you are using an older browser e.g. Internet Explorer. So it’s recommended that you use newer browsers like Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge.
Our app is supported by Apple devices (iOS version 10.0 and above) and Android devices (version 6.0 and above).
Other ways we can help
We offer a range of extra support services for customers with additional needs, including:
- bills and correspondence in large print, braille, or audio format
- advance notice if your energy supply is going to be interrupted
- quarterly meter reads for households who are unable to access their meter
- video relay for British Sign Language (BSL) users
We have partnered with SignVideo to offer a Video Relay service for BSL users. The service is free to use and is available Monday to Friday from 9am–5pm.
How to use the Video Relay Service
There are two ways you can connect to a BSL interpreter via SignVideo Web or SignVideo App. Once you are connected to an interpreter, let them know you would like to talk to British Gas. They will then interpret your conversation with a British Gas Advisor.
How to set up (the technical stuff)
To use SignVideo, you will need three things as minimum requirements:
Device – You will need either Apple, Android or Windows device – smartphone, tablet or desktop.
Check that your home Wi-Fi and internet connection is working. You could also try visiting the British Gas website using another device on the same Wi-Fi network.
Webcam – They can be plugged in or built in.
- 3G,4G,5G mobile network
- Plug in broadband/ethernet
To learn more about using SignVideo service, visit www.signvideo.co.uk/download
We’ve also partnered with Recite Me who provide an online toolbar which contains a number of different assistive technologies that could aid you when using our website.
How to use the toolbar
The toolbar will be available shortly across all pages within the website. To activate the toolbar, click on the accessibility tools link that will appear in the top navigation of the page. The toolbar will then appear, which you can use as you see fit. More information on the various options can be found within this user guide.
How accessible is our website and app?
While British Gas does its best to adhere to the accepted guidelines and standards for accessibility and usability, it’s not always possible to do so in all areas of the website. We know some parts of this website are not fully accessible. Rest assured that we’ll be working to remedy this over the rest of the year.
We know the app isn’t yet fully accessible, but we’re working with independent experts on improving it. You will start to see these improvements as we release new versions of the app, with the aim of making it fully accessible by the end of 2021.
We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or think we’re not meeting accessibility requirements, get in touch below:
Call us on 0333 202 9802
Monday to Friday: 9am - 5pm.
Call us on 18001 0333 202 9802
Monday to Friday: 9am - 5pm.
Write to us
British Gas, PO Box 227, Rotherham. S98 1PD
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
British Gas is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website and our app is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, due to the non-compliances listed below.
The content listed below is non-accessible for the following reasons:
- tab index on the cookie message
- discernible text in links (we tend to use "click here", "learn more", etc instead of what the link is)
- incorrect heading levels and skipping heading levels. aka h1 and then the next is a h3
- not all content is useable by keyboard-only users
We are working hard to resolve these issues.
The websites below offer advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability. Please note that British Gas is not responsible for content on these sites.
- W3C Web Accessibility Initiative
- Action on Hearing Loss
- British Deaf Association
- Ability Net
- Disabled Living Foundation
- Disability World
- Royal National Institute for the Blind
- My web my way
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This statement was prepared on 13th January 2022. It was last reviewed on 17th February 2022.