Queens Cross – Case study
Queens Cross Housing Association in Glasgow is a housing scheme consisting of 9 separate buildings totalling 543 flats. This area in North-west Glasgow is classified among the 15% most deprived in Scotland (Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivation 2012).
The existing properties were heated electrically by Economy 7 storage heaters and the hot water was provided by a hot water cylinder in each flat heated by an electric immersion heater.
The system was outdated and inefficient leaving residents with high running costs and limited control.
“Raising the energy efficiency of homes is the most sustainable way to tackle fuel poverty. Indications from comparison sites with Ecopod indicate that our tenants will see significant savings on their fuel bills.”
Shona Stephen, Queens Cross Chief Executive
We worked closely with our client to design and deliver a cost effective, high efficiency solution to meet their requirements:
- Installation of a contained plant room (Ecopod) accommodating Worcester Bosch high efficiency condensing boilers
- Inclusion of a bespoke Building Management System (BMS) to monitor and to continually ensure optimum performance
- Provision of £4.8 million Energy Company Obligation (ECO) funding from British Gas to part fund the project
What is an Ecopod?
An Ecopod is a packaged optimised energy and controls system for multi-tenant buildings which provides highly efficient, safe and controllable heating and hot water. The Ecopod is complimented by gas absorption heat pumps which produce additional heat into the system to help reduce running costs overall.
The delivery of this project will bring the following sustainable benefits:
- Helping to eradicate fuel poverty - lower running costs for residents
- Improving living standards - Optimum levels of comfort and control
- Reducing carbon emissions - the installation of the new system will also result in Queens Cross Housing Association meeting its 2020 carbon reduction targets early and exceeding the Scottish Housing Quality Standard for energy efficiency
The project has been delivered with excellent levels of resident engagement, minimum disruption, clean site practice and the highest Gas Safety and ISO quality standards.