9th August at 9:10am.
How we're supporting and protecting customers and colleagues.
Here to solve safely this summer
With the lifting of restrictions well underway across England, Scotland and Wales we’re pleased to be offering our full range of services again.
However, we’re also aware the pandemic isn’t over and that new variants may mean the situation – either regionally or nationally – could change quickly.
Keeping everyone safe has been our top priority throughout the pandemic. So we’ll continue to keep an eye on official guidance and will adjust our services and ways of working as needed.
If you’re still waiting for us to reschedule a non-essential appointment, like a service visit, we’ll be in touch shortly – there’s no need to call us. Helping us keep our phone lines free means we’re able to answer calls from vulnerable people and emergencies much faster.
Need help with something? Don’t forget you can pay bills, top up your smart meter, submit meter readings and much more through your online account .
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
What types of jobs can you help with at the moment?
We’re now able to help with all types of jobs in England, Scotland and Wales. Please access your account online or via the British Gas app to book an appointment. If you need an emergency appointment, please call 0333 200 8899.
What if I have an emergency?
Please call 0333 200 8899 if you need an emergency appointment.
How will engineers work safely in my home?
Keeping you and our engineers safe is our top priority. Here’s how we’re doing it:
Before your appointment
When you book, we’ll ask if anyone in your home:
- has Covid-19 symptoms
- is shielding or vulnerable
- has been asked to self-isolate
Your engineer will also call ahead on the day of your appointment to see if anything has changed.
During your appointment
Our engineers follow the latest guidance and will:
- wash or sanitise their hands before entering your home – and at regular intervals during the appointment
- wear face masks (unless they are medically exempt from doing so)
- wear disposable or protective gloves as appropriate during the job
- keep at least two metres away from you at all times
If a job requires two engineers, they’ll only come together for tasks that need two pairs of hands and wear personal protective equipment (PPE) when they are not able to keep two metres apart.
If anyone in your home is vulnerable or shielding, our engineers will take extra precautions, including wearing goggles and a respirator mask. If you’ve told us that anyone in the property has tested positive for Covid-19 OR has symptoms of Covid-19, they will also wear a cover-all suit.
In line with official advice, our engineers aren’t wearing face coverings or respirator masks as standard in other cases.
How you can help us keep everyone safe
- Where you can, please open doors and windows to ensure good ventilation while our engineer is in your home
- If possible, please ask everyone in your home to stay in another room while the engineer is working OR if not possible, keep at least two meters away from them at all times
- If anyone in your home has the NHS Track and Trace app, please make sure you keep your phones with you during the appointment to help keep the app alerts as accurate as possible
- Please let us know in advance if anyone in your home has Covid-19 symptoms in the two weeks before we visit OR has been asked to self-isolate for any reason. We can still help with emergencies, but we’ll need to tell our engineer to take extra precautions before they visit. If it’s not an emergency job, please cancel or reschedule your appointment for a later date. Just call 0333 200 8899 or simply cancel or reschedule your appointment online.
What if I have an appointment booked but I could be at risk of Covid-19?
Keeping everyone safe is our top priority. So if anyone in your home develops symptoms of Covid-19 (high temperature, new continuous cough, loss of taste/smell) in the two weeks before we visit OR has been told to self-isolate, it’s really important to tell us.
We can still help with emergencies, but please let us know in advance if anyone in your home has Covid-19 symptoms or are self-isolating so our engineer can take extra precautions by calling 0333 200 8899 before your appointment.
I’m worried about paying my bills - can you help?
We’re here for you. If you're struggling, please let us know by calling 0333 202 9802 Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm to discuss your options.
How are you supporting HomeCare and Services customers facing financial hardship due to Covid-19?
There are lots of ways we can help keep your home covered - there’s no need to cancel your agreement. For example, customers in financial difficulty have the option of taking a payment holiday of up to 3 months. Just give us a call on 0333 200 8899 or start a live chat and we’ll try to find a way to help that works for you.
How do I spot a fake British Gas email?
According to recent research, phishing scams have increased by 600%* since the Covid-19 outbreak. And they often impersonate big businesses, like British Gas, to try and get sensitive information from customers.
We’re currently aware of fake emails being sent to people telling them they have an overdue bill. If you get one of these, please attach the fake email to a new email and send it to email@example.com or just delete it from your email account.
How to tell if an email is really from us
- Our emails will always address you by name, never ‘Dear customer’
- We’ll never ask you to update or confirm your personal details, or your account number over email
- Look out for odd email addresses. For example, our emails to you will always be sent from an ‘@britishgas.co.uk’ account
- If in doubt, don’t click any links and send the suspicious email to firstname.lastname@example.org to help us keep everyone safe
Get more helpful tips and advice to protect yourself against phishing scams.
*According to KnowBe4’s Q1 2020 Top-Clicked Phishing Report.
How are you using my data?
If you have an urgent concern about how we’ve used your personal data, please contact our Data Privacy Team.