Save time and money with our void property energy management service
Our free service will take care of all the energy requirements for your empty or void housing stock.
Void energy management done simply
VoidCare is a free, managed service from British Gas that helps housing providers manage their energy needs during the vacant period when a tenant moves out and before a new tenant moves in.
We do this by assigning an experienced VoidCare team to look after your specific needs and ensuring a stress-free switch for your tenants.
We’re currently helping more than 200 housing associations, landlords, estate agents and local authorities manage a void housing stock portfolio of over two million properties throughout the UK.
Already a VoidCare customer?
Our online portal makes it easy to access information and manage your vacant properties.
Why our void energy managed service is for you
We can help you:
- Increase revenue by reducing void time
- Reduce admin costs through our experienced account management team
- Manage your bills through tailored billing solutions
- Support your tenants with their energy needs
So that you avoid:
- Waiting in supplier call queues
- Processing letters and bills from multiple suppliers
- Waiting time in properties for an engineer
- Being pursued by debt collection agencies
- Waiting to clear debt from meters
What’s included in our void property management service
Our range of free services takes the stress out of managing void properties, dealing with suppliers, energy maintenance and tenant support:
- Dedicated VoidCare Team
- Online portal - easy access and visibility of your unoccupied properties
- Energy supplier management including bills and letters – helping you to avoid debt letters and estimated bills
- Outstanding debt cleared from energy meters
- Void credit towards your energy usage during the void period
- Standing charges waived
- Meter connections and installations including smart meters
- Transfer of supply to your new tenant on move in day
- Issuing cards for gas meters and keys for electricity meters allowing for easy payment top-up
- Ongoing tenant support
How VoidCare empty property energy management works
Our easy three step process gives you peace of mind and your tenants a hassle-free start:
- Tenant gives notice. As soon as your tenant gives notice, add the property address, void date and estimated re-let date in our online portal. We’ll then close the tenant’s account, clear any debt, and start the switching process
- Tenant vacates property. We transfer the account back to you
- New tenant moves in. Simply add the tenant’s name, move in date (providing as much advance notice as possible) and up to date meter readings via the online portal. We’ll then close the void account in your name, set up the new tenant account and issue a welcome pack
Void property energy help and advice
We have lots of information to help with managing the energy of your void properties.
Learn about smart meters and smart pay as you go meters.
How to read meters, meter types, Pay As You Go meters and more.
A complete service for gas and electricity meter installs and energy supply.
We’ll arrange an appointment to understand the specific energy requirements of your unoccupied properties and tailor our service to save you time and money.
Frequently asked questions
What is a void property?
A void property is one which does not have a tenant currently living there. This is usually during the unoccupied period when a tenant moves out and before a new tenant moves in.
What is Void Energy Management?
Void Energy Management is a free service that helps housing providers save time and money by managing the energy needs of unoccupied properties during the period when a tenant moves out and before a new tenant moves in.
We're open Monday–Friday, 9am-5pm. We may record calls to help improve our service to you. Call charges to 03 numbers will cost you no more than 01 or 02 numbers, please check with your phone provider. If you get 'inclusive minutes' with your package, calls to 0330/0333 numbers will be part of these.