Get an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR). Electrical Installation Condition Report

Learn why EICRs are an important part of keeping your tenants safe and find out how to book.

Get an EICR report from £499

We're here to help keep your property safe for you and your tenants.

Book an EICR with one of our qualified engineers and we'll provide:

  • A safety inspection, which covers all accessible mains connected wiring and fixtures in the fuse box
  • A condition report, with details of the inspection and any work which needs to be carried out

Call 0333 202 9668 to book 1

What is an EICR?

An EICR checks whether your property's wiring and electrics are safe. It's also known as the 'Landlord Safety Test' or the 'Homebuyer's Test', and is always carried out by a qualified electrician.

If you rent out a property, you are legally required to have one every five years, or sooner if specified in the most recent report. Even for homeowners, to make sure your home is safe, we recommend you have an EICR every 10 years.

What happens during an EICR?

There are five main things your electrician will do when performing an EICR:

  1. They'll record the results of their inspection and tests to make sure the electrics are safe to be used until the next inspection (following any necessary works)
  2. They'll find and report any damage or wear and tear that might make the electrics unsafe
  3. They'll check for anything that doesn't meet the IET wiring regulations
  4. They'll check for anything that may cause electric shocks and high temperatures
  5. They'll provide a record of the installation at the time of inspection

What does it mean as a landlord?

As a landlord, you're responsible for the safety of the electrics throughout the property – this includes the installation itself and any electrical appliances you've provided. You'll need to make sure these are safe when a new tenant moves in and maintained for the duration of their tenancy. You may know this document as an Electrical Safety Certificate, but please check to ensure it meets the current legal requirements.

It is a legal requirement to get an EICR completed every 5 years for privately rented homes in England and for privately and socially rented homes (HMOs) in Scotland and Wales.

If you don't, you could face fines of up to £30,000 and your insurance could be invalidated. Banning orders may also be brought for serious or repeated offences.

To book an EICR with British Gas, and for information, click here.

For more information on electrical requirements in the private rental sector please visit:

Want to know more?

Gas Safety Certificates

An annual Gas Safety Certificate is a legal requirement for landlords.

More about Gas Safety Certificate

Fire safety

Hints and tips to keep your tenants and your property safe.

Read about fire safety

Landlord Insurance

Read our article and make sure you’re covered, whatever happens.

Read about Landlord Insurance

Frequently Asked Questions

What an EICR provide and what does it tell me?

An EICR provides landlords with a summary of the condition of the electrics in the rental property and recommend any observations or remedial action required in order to ensure that the electrical installation is in a satisfactory condition for continued service, compliant with the current British Standard for electrical safety (BS 7671). Generally, an EICR will provide coding against any electrical installation, fixtures, fittings or equipment which fails to pass electrical safety inspection.

The coding’s are categorised into 3 types – C1, C2 & C3.

Code C1 (danger present) or C2 (potentially dangerous) must be rectified to meet Electrical safety standards.

Code C1 means that anyone using the installation is at risk and remedial work should be carried out immediately.

C3 indicates an observed finding which whilst not immediately dangerous would be a beneficial improvement to the safety of the electrical installation. 

Any element of the electrical installation classified in an FI (further investigation required) should be investigated as soon as practically possible as such investigation may reveal a dangerous or potentially dangerous condition. Any work which is undertaken must be recorded separately. This can be done by recording the work completed on a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate and providing a copy of that to the person ordering the work, which is recommended for all actions to remedy a defect.

I privately rent properties in Wales – what are my obligations?

Electrical installations should be inspected and tested regularly to ensure it is safe for continued use. This test is known as ‘periodic inspection and testing’ (PIT).Once the PIT has been completed you will be issued with an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR).

A landlord is required to have the electrical installation of the dwelling tested every five years unless the requirements of the previous EICR indicate a shorter testing interval is required.

What happens if the report finds additional C1/C2 remedial work is needed?

If the electrical safety report finds any faults or potential faults, then it is the landlords responsibility to either investigate further or repair any faults. The landlord must ensure further investigations or repairs are completed within 28 days of the inspection, or within the timeframe set out in the report if this is shorter by a qualified person.Once the repairs have been carried out landlords will need written evidence that the electrical safety standards have now been met and the property is electrically compliant. This confirmation must be supplied to each existing tenant along with the original report identifying further work is required.The local authority may request a copy of the report & evidence of work completed at any time. 

How does EICR differ to Visual Inspections Reports?

In general, there are two types of domestic electrical installation condition report:
Visual inspection report (VIR or Visual condition report) – is a basic 
check to identify any signs of damage, defects and observations which includes recommendations. This does not include circuit testing and is only suitable if the installation has been tested recently. Electrical Installation condition report - this is what is also called Periodic inspection and includes visual checks as well as testing of electrical installation, which would identify any hidden damage. It includes an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) on the safety of the electrical installations, including a visual inspection of fixtures and fittings, plus a fixed electrical equipment test, and a Portable Appliance Test (PAT) on portable appliances.

What happens if I don’t have an EICR or get the repairs fixed?

Non-compliance with the new regulations will mean the local authority will supply the landlord with an ‘enforcement notice’. If a landlord fails to act upon this, the local authority can enforce it by having the repairs completed (and billing the landlord) or even impose a fine of up to £30,000.

Additional information

  1. You can call us Monday to Friday: 8am - 8pm, Saturday 8am - 2pm. We may record calls to help improve our service to you. Calls to 0800 numbers are free. Call charges to 03 numbers will cost no more than 01 or 02 numbers, please check with your phone provider.