Gas safety certificates

Is a Gas Safety Certificate a legal requirement? Does it have to be renewed every year? What are the latest regulations? Read on for the answers.

Every gas appliance needs a Gas Safety Certificate

As a landlord you need a Gas Safety Certificate or CP12 for every gas appliance in your rental property. It’s a legal requirement and each individual certificate has to be renewed every year. Without them you risk a hefty fine, and the appliances may be unsafe for tenants to use.

The good news is that with HomeCare from British Gas your Gas Safety Certificates are taken care of – every year.1

The easy way to protect your tenants and your property

With Homecare, one of our Gas Safe registered engineers will call round once a year to service the appliances in your rental property. It keeps you within the law, and keeps your appliances in great working order. It may even help to extend their service life.

We’ll send a copy of the Gas Safety Certificate to your tenants, so they know everything’s safe and ready to use. And if there are any emergency repairs needed, we’ll do those too.

British Gas Landlord Cover. Easy and affordable cover for landlords

We have a range of HomeCare products to suit your needs and your budget. We’ll even help you spread the cost over the year with manageable monthly payments.

Get HomeCare for landlords

What’s included with the service

When you sign up to HomeCare, you get our boiler expertise as standard. Our engineer will make sure your boiler is safe and working well when we do your annual service. And you’ll get a checklist of everything we’ve done.

The engineer will:

  • Check for leaks and signs of wear
  • Test the gas pressure
  • Ensure there are no carbon monoxide leaks
  • Complete your landlord Gas Safety Certificate

It only takes one visit

If the HomeCare agreement covers all the gas appliances in your rental property, you can have all of them checked or serviced at the same time. Just book online or via the app.

Remember, you need an annual Gas Safety Certificate for every gas appliance in your rental property.

What you need to know

To make sure you’re in line with safety rules and regulations, take a look at the help and advice section on the Gas Safe Register website. All our engineers are Gas Safe registered, and qualified to complete your Gas Safety Certificate.

Do I need HomeCare to get a Gas Safety Certificate?

If you don’t have HomeCare you can still get your Gas Safety Certificate inspection done by one of our expert engineers – on any of your appliances.

Here’s how to book:

Gas Safety Certificate. Need a Gas Safety Certificate now?

If you need a Gas Safety Certificate urgently, visit our website and click on the blue Chat button to talk to one of our friendly team. They’ll be happy to help.

Get a Gas Safety Certificate

Keep up to date

We’ve put together some useful information for landlords, including more about Gas Safety Certificates and Electrical Installation Condition Reports. We think you’ll find them helpful, especially if you’re a new landlord or building your rental portfolio.

Landlord cover

Landlord cover can take the stress out of emergency repairs in your rental properties.

Discover our landlord cover

Electrical safety

Find out if your rental property needs an Electrical Installation.

Electrical safety regulations

Fire safety

Hints and tips to protect your tenants and your property from fire.

Fire safety tips

Additional information

  1. Your annual service may be more than 12 months apart.