Boiler servicing: a checklist
Boiler Servicing: A Checklist
Regular boiler servicing is vital to ensure that your boiler is running safely and efficiently. Poorly maintained or faulty boilers present a serious health risk to you and your family, because they can cause fatal carbon monoxide poisoning.
This checklist explains what to expect from a British Gas boiler service.
When should I arrange a service?
Arrange a British Gas boiler service at least once a year to ensure your boiler is operating properly at all times.
Most people choose to have their boiler serviced in winter, when it is used the most. You may want to take this into account when booking your appointment – it may be worthwhile booking your service in advance or in a different season, such as summer.
How do I arrange a service?
If you are already a British Gas customer, you can simply log in to your account to book online or on your smartphone, or you can call us on 0800 980 6004.
If you are not a British Gas customer, you can still book our engineers for a service. Call us on 0800 084 1864 to speak to one of our friendly customer service advisers.
What do British Gas engineers do during a boiler service?
- Our engineer will inspect your boiler and controls to make sure they are operating safely.
- The inspection will include checking your boiler for corrosion and leaks.
- Your boiler casing will be removed to check the functioning of its main components.
- A gas pressure check will ensure your boiler is operating at the correct gas pressure.
- A flue test will ensure that no unsafe emissions are being released from your boiler.
- Your boiler’s parts will be cleaned as required.
- Your boiler’s casing will be put back on and properly sealed.
- Our engineer will leave a checklist with you including all of the relevant information you need about the safety of your boiler.
What will a boiler service cost?
British Gas offers competitive prices for boiler servicing. Customers who choose HomeCare cover from British Gas have an annual boiler service included in their cover. This means that HomeCare customers pay no additional fees for a service.