There seems to be a problem playing this YouTube video
To view please try one of the following options:
- Check your YouTube access
- Or go direct to YouTube
We want to help your business use less energy and save money. The first step to doing that is getting a smart meter.
Over the next few years, all homes and businesses will be able to have one fitted. The meters are ‘smart’ because once you’re connected, they send us your meter readings directly. So your bills accurately reflect what you’ve used, rather than being estimated.
Upgrading to a smart meter is simple and it’s free. Appointments are available between Monday and Friday, 8am to 6pm.
You’ll be able to choose a four-hour appointment window for the smart meter engineer to visit. They’ll be with you for about an hour.
And you’ll need to make sure you’re prepared for the power to be switched off for around 40 minutes.
Once installed, the engineer will also talk you through how the meter works and how to understand the visual display. And that’s it!
No fuss, no cost and no more estimated bills.
Join over 300,000 British Gas business customers nationwide benefiting from smart meters by arranging your smart switch today.
Go online, and complete the form at britishgas.co.uk/business/smartmove
Whats a smart meter?
A smart meter is a meter that automatically sends us your meter readings securely, meaning you don’t have to.
The government wants all UK businesses and homes to have a smart meter by the end of 2020.
Read more about the targets in Gov.uk’s Smart meter implementation programme.
Currently, around 50% of our business customers have an electricity smart or advanced meter1.
The benefits of having a smart meter
- Automatic meter readings - sent securely from you to us*
- Accurate bills – we’ll have your latest reading so no more estimated bills*
- Manage costs - we may be able to help you find ways to save energy and lower your costs
What happens when you install my smart meter?
- For your meter to send data to us there needs to be a good mobile signal. This isn’t always possible, but we’ll carry out a test and tell you during the installation if the signal isn’t strong enough.
- It’ll take us around 1 hour to fit the new smart meter and your electricity will need to be turned off.
- Our engineer will record the final reading on your old meter and take a first reading from your new smart meter.
- We’ll aim to have your next bill sent to you with your new meter details and with an actual reading. The date on which you get the updated bill will vary depending on when in the month you have your installation.
- Make an appointment with you in advance & at a time to suit your business.
- Aim to minimise any disruption.
- Tell you if there’re any technical issues and we can’t install your smart meter. Our engineer will explain the alternative options.
Poor signal strength
*On occasions, we may not be able to receive your smart meter readings due to things like poor signal strength. In these cases, we may have to send you an estimated bill or ask you to take a meter reading.
What you can do to help us
- Please clear the area where your old meter is situated so that it’s easy to access.
- Unlock doors if your old meter is in a cupboard - our engineer can get to work straightaway.
- Turn off any electrical equipment like alarms or computers, so they’re not affected when your electricity is turned off.
- Tell us if there are times and days when the installation would be more convenient and minimise disruption to your business.
Our smart meter promise
We're committed to helping all our business customers benefit from smart meter technology as early as possible.
Smart Meter Installation Code of Practice
We’re dedicated to helping you use less energy and to lower your bills. For more information about energy efficiency, go to britishgas.co.uk/business/SMICOP
Guaranteed Standards of Performance
If you’re a micro business and we miss an appointment with you, our regulator Ofgem may require that we compensate you. Find out more about our Guaranteed Standards of Performance
1More than 50% of British Gas Business customers have either a ‘Smart’ or ‘Advanced’ meter. Some business customers could receive an advanced meter, which also meets the government’s requirements.