Half price electricity every Sunday and Christmas Day from 11am to 4pm
Ready, set, save with PeakSave Sundays
We’re proud partners of Team GB and ParalympicsGB, but you don’t have to wait until the Paris 2024 Games to enjoy a big event. We’re running one every Sunday until the end of February with half-price electricity from 11am to 4pm for our world-class PeakSavers. And, as a little thank you to all our PeakSavers, you can also enjoy half-price electricity on Christmas Day too!
Join the hundreds of thousands of customers who are already saving money on their bills.
Can I take part?
To get your electricity half price, you’ll need to:
- Be a British Gas electricity customer
- Have a smart meter, so we can see how much you use on Sundays
- Pay by Direct Debit or when you receive your bill.
If we supply your electricity but you prepay for energy or don’t have a smart meter, no need to throw in the towel. Register your interest in PeakSave and we’ll be in touch about what you can do to get the ball rolling.
Not an electricity customer yet?
We’d love to include you in our half-price electricity events. Switching your electricity supply to us is easy. Simply find the right tariff for you, say you want to switch, and we’ll take care of the rest.
How will PeakSave Sundays work?
You'll need to sign up to PeakSave. We’ll then get in touch to let you know when you’re up and running or the next steps to get involved.
- There will be a half-price electricity event every Sunday until the end of February.
- You don’t need to sign up to each one – once everything’s set up, we’ll let you know and we’ll automatically include you in every PeakSave Sunday.
- During the five-hour events, use as much electricity as you need.
- Your smart meter will tell us how much you used, and we'll work out your credit.
- After each event, we’ll credit half of what you spent back to your account and the payment will show up as ‘PeakSave Sunday Credit’ on your next bill or online statement.
- At the end of each month, we’ll email you a summary of how much you’ve saved.
1. On your marks
Sign up to PeakSave. Once everything’s ready we’ll let you know and automatically include you in all half-price events.
2. Get set
If we have your mobile number, we’ll send a text message to remind you before they start.
On PeakSave Sundays, use as much electricity as you need from 11am to 4pm.
4. Everyone wins
Your smart meter will tell us how much you used, and we’ll credit your account back with half of what you spent.
It’s competition time!
Win a luxury hamper plus celebrity elf to help prepare your New Year’s celebrations
We’re rewarding customers this Christmas with our V.I.Peaksavers competition.
To enter, simply take a photo of yourself making the most of your half-price electricity - whether that’s doing the laundry or enjoying a homemade Sunday roast - and share it to your preferred social channel with the #V.I.Peaksavers hashtag.
Five lucky winners will be selected at random each week. Plus winners will be entered into a draw to win the ultimate prize of a celebrity elf who will visit and help prepare their New Years celebrations!
The benefits of taking part in PeakSave Sunday
- Save money on your bill – any electricity you use during the events is half price.
- Make use of cleaner, greener energy when it’s more readily available.
- Get a better understanding of how you use electricity at home.
- Help us develop more flexible energy events for the future.
Making the most of PeakSave Sundays
Any electricity you use is half price, so it’s worth waiting until the event to put those big appliances to work. That might mean using the five hours to catch up on the week’s washing or vacuuming.
Or you may want to wash the car, or cook a Sunday roast with all the trimmings for lunch instead of dinner. Then you can put the dishwasher on a little earlier too.
Even if you just feel like putting your feet up, any electricity you use for watching TV, a bit of gaming on the console, or just charging your phone – it’s still half price.
Catch up on chores
Large appliances like washing machines and dishwashers use the most electricity. Set aside a load or two for the events and get everything clean for half the price.
Cook your Sunday roast
Electric ovens and other kitchen gadgets can be pretty power-hungry too, so it’ll pay to do all your big Sunday meal prep during the events.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are PeakSave Sundays?
PeakSave Sundays reward customers for shifting heavy electricity use to a Sunday when there’s typically more renewable electricity available in the UK’s energy system due to lower demand from business and industry. This in turn reduces the need for energy generated by fossil fuels.
PeakSave Sundays are opportunities for customers who have smart meters and are signed up to PeakSave to take advantage of half-price electricity between 11am and 4pm every Sunday.
There will be a PeakSave Sunday event every Sunday until the end of February.
Demand for electricity is low on Sundays, so we’re encouraging PeakSavers to use as much as they need during the events. Not only will they be saving money, but it’s more likely that they’ll be using cleaner energy when it’s more readily available.
How will you know how much electricity I’ve used?
We’ll keep track of how much you use through your smart meter, and credit your account back with half of what you spend.
Will taking part in PeakSave Sundays change my tariff or prices?
No, PeakSave Sunday events won’t change anything about your energy tariff or the prices you pay.
You’ll be charged for the electricity you use during the events at your normal rate.
Will I also pay half price for any gas I use during the PeakSave events?
No. Only electricity is half price during PeakSave Sunday events.
Is there anything I shouldn’t do during the PeakSave Sunday events?
While any electricity you use during the events will be half price, we don’t recommend you go out of your way to use excessive amounts of electricity unnecessarily.
You could end up spending significantly more on electricity than you normally would, even with the half-price discount.
What if I can’t take part in PeakSave Sundays or change my mind?
You’ll be billed for the electricity you use as normal, then we’ll credit your account back with half of what you spent during the event. We’ll also send a monthly PeakSave summary – so you can see how much you’re saving.
What will my PeakSave Sunday credits be?
You’ll be billed for the electricity you use as normal, then we’ll credit your account back with half of what you spent. We’ll also send a monthly PeakSave summary – so you can see how much you’re saving.
You’ll pay your daily standing charge at your normal rate. This will not be discounted.
The amount you earn will depend on your energy tariff, unit rate and how much electricity you use during the events.
PeakSave Sunday events are subject to eligibility criteria and terms and conditions, which can be found in full here.
PeakSave Sundays will run every Sunday up to the end of February 2024. Sunday 25th February will be the last PeakSave Sunday. We offer half-price electricity between 11am and 4pm, capped at 60 kWh for each event. Any electricity you use above 60 kWh on a single PeakSave Sunday will be charged at your normal unit rate. A large home would typically use around 12 kWh of electricity a day. The 60 kWh cap for the five-hour slot is to make sure that PeakSave Sunday events are used fairly. You will still pay your daily standing charge.
We can cancel PeakSave Sunday events at any time before the end of February 2024. If we do, we will let you know.
To be eligible to take part in PeakSave Sunday events you must (1) be aged 18 or over; (2) be a current British Gas electricity supply customer; (3) have received an email invitation to take part in the events; (4) have a smart meter that is operating in credit mode and is opted into half-hourly meter readings.
Eligible customers will receive bill credits related to their electricity usage, calculated by using your smart meter readings. The number of units of electricity used will be multiplied by 50% of your tariff rate before VAT. If for any reason we are unable to retrieve your smart meter data, we may need to estimate your electricity usage, as explained in detail in the full terms.
Your bill credits will normally appear on your electricity account within seven working days of each event ending, although it could take longer. Bill credits cannot be transferred to another account holder and cannot be exchanged for cash or a voucher.
You will not be able to continue participating in our PeakSave Sundays if you no longer meet the eligibility conditions, move home, switch your electricity supplier, or begin to take your supply through a meter operating in pre-payment mode.
1. The Prize Draw is open until 25th December 2023
2. You must be a British Gas customer upon entry and redemption of competition and have an open social media profile for us to contact. Facebook, Instagram and X only
3. By sharing your picture to enter the competition, British Gas have the right to use it on their social media channel
4. The winners will be selected at random and will be contacted from the British Gas official social media account
5. Customers must verify their customer status with an active account number
6. Main prize will involve filming with a production crew and by entering you agree for British Gas to post on their social channels and you must be available on 30th and 31st December 2023
7. Prizes are hampers to the value of £130 and are non-transferrable
8. British Gas Trading Ltd is the promoter of this prize draw, registered office: Millstream, Maidenhead Road, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 5GD (No. 5782908).