What’s sustainability when it’s at home?
There are no two ways about it, we’re living in a climate emergency and it’s time for everyone to take action. The UK was the first major economy to pass a Net Zero emissions law to be actioned by 2050 - in simple terms this means achieving a balance between the carbon emitted into the atmosphere, and the carbon removed from it. To achieve that we must rapidly reduce greenhouse gas emissions - particularly carbon dioxide - and invest in things like tree planting and peat landscapes, to aid the removal of gases in the atmosphere.
In short, it’s vital that we all work together for a more sustainable future - but sometimes it feels like we’re bombarded with information and it can seem overwhelming and confusing. Once you take away all the buzzwords and complicated jargon, sustainability can be quite simple. Did you know that 40% of our carbon emissions come from our homes? So, a great place to start is by making our homes greener. And we’ve got loads of everyday solutions to help you do just that.
Energy-saving smart gadgets. Home chargers for electric cars. Energy-efficient boilers. Zero-carbon electricity tariffs.
They’re just some of the simple changes you can make.
How we do our bit at British Gas
As one of the biggest energy suppliers to UK homes, we know we need to do our bit too, and it’s a much bigger bit. We see it as our responsibility to take real action, not just to beat the Net Zero deadline as an organisation, but also to invest in new technologies and innovations that will help millions of our customers get to Net Zero by 2050.
No lofty gestures - just real, tangible action
- Supporting carbon cutting projects around the world through our Green Futures Tariff
- Investing in green gas, made from farm waste and leftover food which is virtually carbon neutral
- Offering all our customers Zero Carbon electricity
- Installing more smart meters in homes than anyone else –8 million so far
- We made history by placing an order for 3,000 electric Vauxhall vans – the largest ever electric vehicle order for a commercial fleet in the UK
- Installing over 17,000 electric vehicle charging points and provided customers with one million Hive smart thermostats across the UK
- We install over 100,000 energy efficient boilers every year, and we only use those rated A+ for energy efficiency
- Offering Hive EV charging as a greener, cheaper way to power our customers’ Electric vehicles overnight and put less demand on the national grid
- Our Mixergy hot water tanks need far less energy than a standard hot water cylinder. They’re five times faster and can save our customers up to 40% on their bills
- As part of our Energy for Tomorrow scheme, we award grants of up to £100,000 to support entrepreneurs and communities who have innovative energy-saving ideas that need funding.
If you want to do your bit and make your home greener, we’re with you every step of the way. From the little things like energy-saving tips and free smart meters, to bigger things like heat pumps run on air – we’re here to help.