While the nation rallies to help each other during the coronavirus crisis, plumbers, electricians and heating engineers around the country are attending emergency appointments. Their aim is to help keep UK businesses and homes warm and safe.
You may have noticed our distinctive blue vans are still on the road. Some of these vans are driven by our commercial gas engineers, who look after more than 60,000 British businesses. You may not know that some of our customers are businesses. They are a mix of public-owned companies and charitable institutions who look after vulnerable customers themselves. Schools, care homes and adult-care centres are still open and need heating and hot water to keep their residents and customers safe and well.
During these extraordinary times, we’re working hard to prioritise vulnerable customers and emergencies. In April 2020 we arrived at over 90% of our priority jobs within four hours.
Here’s just a few stories where our engineers have made a real difference to businesses and the communities they serve.
Tom Birkett’s heroic deeds at a nursing home
Alisa Josland at The Ingle borough Nursing Home LLP said about our Commercial engineer Tom Birkett
Using video to fix heating for the needy
An adult care centre, at a community site in Weymouth, lost heating. Using video technology, our engineer Graham was able to complete a visual inspection of the boiler, flue and water pressure. After Graham helped the customer to identify the boiler fault code, he talked the customer through how to reset their boiler and get their heating back up and running.
I’m sure you’ll understand so that emergencies can be prioritised, we’ll be postponing all routine appointments – like annual service appointments. We don’t like letting customers down, but this will help limit the spread of coronavirus. The delay of your annual service won’t mean we won’t complete it. If you have a Business Care service agreement which includes repairs, we’ll still complete these.
Rest assured, one of our team will call you if your annual service is due and get it scheduled in – there’s no need to call us to book this in.
Protecting our business customers and British Gas engineers
Here’s just some of the things we’ve done to keep our engineers doing what they do best:
- We’re contacting customers before our engineers visit to make sure they haven’t been diagnosed with Covid-19 and advised to self-isolate or have recently returned from a high-risk area
- Our engineers will ask our business customers to remain 2 metres away from their work area to minimise contact
- We’ve given our engineers an increased supply of anti-bacterial gel and wipes on their vans
- Engineers won’t ask you to sign to say the job is done their tablet, instead with your permission, they’ll sign on your behalf
- We’ve deployed equipment and technology that has let us operate our contact centre colleagues to work from home
- We’re giving full pay to all our engineers who are self-isolating or looking after children or other family members during this difficult time
Our customers safety and the safety of our engineers is the most important thing to us. We’re monitoring the situation daily.
More help available from British Gas business
Coronavirus update: FAQs and business energy advice
Fixing common boiler problems
Our business services
 Source: British Gas business services internal reporting. 23 March to 2 April 2020.