Transport has a huge role to play in reducing UK greenhouse gas emissions by 80% by 2050. But as technology advances, the benefits of electric vehicles (EVs) go beyond reducing CO2 emissions and improving air quality. Battery life, mileage range, vehicle choice and re-charge time have improved significantly. So for businesses with a fleet of vehicles, today’s EVs are a realistic and cost-effective alternative to petrol and diesel-powered cars, vans and lorries.
For businesses thinking long-term the cost benefits of EVs look even better. As fuel prices go up and the cost of EVs comes down, they become more cost effective over their lifetime. The more vehicles a business runs on 100% electricity and no emissions means the more they’ll benefit from zero car tax and vehicle excise duty. But there are also brand reputation factors to consider too. As consumers demand greener products and services, many are choosing brands with an environmentally-friendly reputation over those without.
Now that the technology is here, the next step is making EVs readily available to businesses who want to benefit. That’s why we support trials that test the viable use of EVs for business use – like the electric vehicle schemes we’ve been running with the NHS. Feedback from the trial on everything from comfort and speed to charging is helping us make sure the right support, expertise and infrastructure are in place when businesses decide to go green. As part of the scheme we helped the NHS with:
– Funding support – directing them to relevant funding where available to assist them with their set up costs.
– Site surveys – finding the right solution to suit every business starts with a detailed site survey. This includes everything from identifying what work is needed and how much it will cost.
– Choosing the right charging points – we’ve been appointed by major car manufacturers to supply and install a wide range of EV charging points: Nissan, Renault, Toyota, Vauxhall, Mitsubishi, Hitachi Capital Vehicle Solutions, Volvo and Volkswagen.
– Safety and electrical testing – once the charging point is installed, we test the system and demonstrate how easy it is to use.
– Warranty – providing aftercare and warranty on the charging point/s installed to give you piece of mind.
If you’re a local authority, public, private or fleet company looking to reduce carbon emissions, your fuel costs, or both and would like to know more, we’re here to help on 0845 077 2210* or visit britishgas.co.uk/business/electric-vehicles
*Phone lines are open 8am-5pm Mon to Fri. Calls may be recorded and/or monitored for quality assurance and compliance purposes.