Running a business means you’ll always have loads of things to consider, from managing your energy consumption to maintaining the welfare of your staff, and making sure you have a cost-effective insurance plan.
Here are a few ways to protect your assets in the year ahead:
Think about making this a team effort:
• Invite colleagues to suggest ideas to reduce energy consumption in the workplace
• Elect an energy champion to be responsible for energy saving, making sure all the lights and office equipment are switched off at the end of the day.
• Produce a checklist as a reminder for others.
Protect your talent
‘Employee engagement’ may seem like a buzzword, but looking after your staff and making them feel valued is crucial to the success of your business. Showing that you appreciate your team will boost morale, ultimately improving productivity and helping to manage employee retention.
You could introduce a rewards scheme to acknowledge your outstanding ‘superstar’ employee of the month with a treat, or even reward the whole team, depending on budget.
As a small business, it is vital to protect your assets and potential for growth. Making sure you have the right type of insurance to meet your business needs is essential. Shop around for insurance to assess your options and check you’re getting the best deal.
Ensure you have the appropriate liability insurance. Key considerations include:
• Public liability – Protect yourself against a claim from a member of the public.
• Products liability – Protect your business from legal costs and damages awards.
• Employer’s liability – If you employ UK-based members of staff, you are legally required to take out employer’s liability insurance.
• Commercial vehicle insurance – If you use your own vehicle for work, you will require business car insurance rather than a standard policy. Stay protected and get the right level of cover.
Got any tips and advice on how businesses can protect their assets in 2014? Leave us a comment below!