Getting a refund
My account is in credit. How do I get a refund?
If your bill is showing that you're in credit, you can get a refund.
To get it, you need to submit a meter reading so we can make sure your bill is accurate. If your account is in credit, we'll refund the money.
The way we make the refund depends on the way you paid us:
- If you paid by cheque or cash, we'll send you a cheque
- If you paid by debit or credit card, we'll refund the money to your card
- If you paid by Direct Debit, we'll make the refund by BACS
- If you paid by electronic funds (such as BACS or faster payments), we'll send you a cheque
- If you have any British Gas business accounts with a debt, we'll transfer the credit to pay off that account instead
- If you pay by Direct Debit, we'll also look at whether your Direct Debit has been set at the right level and change it if we need to
- Before you move, please call us to give your final meter reading(s) along with your forwarding address and phone number, so we can refund any money owed to you.
- If you're moving and your account is in credit, follow the above process to get your final credit refunded.
Remember, you can check your bills and manage your Direct Debits online if you have an online account.
To give us your final meter reading and arrange a refund,
please call us on
Mon-Fri 8am-6pm, Sat 9am-1pm.