Before you move


How do I tell you I'm moving out?

If you're a British Gas business customer, and you're moving out of your business premises, we'll need some details from you, which you can provide online:

  • Your move out date
  • New occupier name, phone number and email address
  • Forwarding address
  • Final meter reading

What do I need to do before I move into new premises?

When you move into a new premises without agreeing a new contract the existing supplier will put you on a deemed rate. Deemed rates are also known as a deemed contract or default rates. Deemed rates are usually more expensive than a Fixed Price Energy Plan. This is because it costs more to buy energy to supply your business, if the supplier doesn't know how long you’ll stay with them.

Even if we supplied energy to your old premises, you'll need a new quote for us to start supplying your new premises. If you move into a new premises already supplied by us, then we can offer you a new energy contract.

I'm a residential customer moving into premises you supply on business rates. What do I need to do?

If you’ve moved into premises that are charged on business rates, you’ll need to contact us so we can make the account a residential one. The transfer process usually takes about 5 days to complete. During this time you'll be on our standard domestic tariff, unless you've agreed a contract with us.

How do I pay my final bill?

The easiest way to pay your final bill is by calling us. We’ll calculate your final bill and you can pay the amount with a credit or debit card. We’ll give you an authorisation code for the payment. If you pay by Direct Debit, we’ll also cancel that.

You can also organise final payment by post. If this is how you tell us about your business move, we’ll calculate your final bill and send it to you. You'll need to pay any outstanding balances.  Remember you can make a payment online.

Why have you billed me from a different date to when I moved in/moved out?

We’ll bill you for the period when you’re legally responsible for the energy supply at the premises, which may not be the same as the date when you actually moved in or out.

In some cases the previous occupier, or the occupier’s representative, may have provided some information that may be incomplete, or that may be different to the information you’ve provided.

To help us bill you accurately and resolve any conflicts of information, we may ask for a photograph of your meter read or proof of tenancy e.g. a lease agreement, or a solicitor’s letter.

Why do you need my meter readings?

We use your meter readings to calculate your bill. It means we can charge you for the energy you’ve used, rather than estimating your bill. It also means we can refund any credit balances we may owe you. You should provide us with a meter reading as soon as you stop, or start, being legally responsible for the energy supply at your premises.

Related help