After you move


I've just moved business premises. What do I need to do?

Take a meter reading. If you're moving out of premises we supply you can tell us online. If you're moving into premises that we supply, then you can speak with our Business Movers team.

When you move into a new premises, the existing supplier will put you on a deemed rate until you agree an energy contract. Deemed rates are usually more expensive than a Fixed Price Energy Plan. This is because it costs more to buy energy to supply your business, if the supplier doesn’t know how long you’ll stay with them.

How long does it take for my move to be processed?

It takes us around 10 working days to change your billing and supply details to your new address.

If you've been waiting for over 10 working days please give us a call.

I've recently moved in and I'm getting bills for the previous tenant/owner. What should I do?

Please call us with a meter reading and tell us the date you moved.

It’ll take around 10 days for us to transfer your billing and supply to the account in your business name.

Why do you need my name on the account? I may not keep British Gas as my business energy supplier.

We need to know who has legal responsibility for the energy supply at the premises on any given date. An understanding of this makes any future switching process much easier.

When you move into new premises that we supply, if you haven’t agreed an alternative plan with us, you automatically enter into a ‘deemed’ contract and go onto our ‘deemed’ rates. This is because you’re ‘deemed’ to have taken the energy supply from us. Deemed rates are variable rates and are higher than our fixed price, fixed term rates.

We’d like to give you a quote for a fixed price contract for a defined period of time. This type of contract could help you benefit from lower prices and avoid price changes for the length of your contract. If you want to switch suppliers, you'll need to write to us 30 days before you want to leave and pay any outstanding bills.

Why am I still being billed for premises I’ve left?

This will be because your account is still open at those premises.

We can only close the account after you’ve told us you’re no longer legally responsible for the premises, and when you’ve paid the final bill or received any credits to your account.

Please call us with a meter reading and tell us the date you moved.

Why have you billed me from a different date to when I moved in/moved out?

We’ll bill you for the period when you’re legally responsible for the energy supply at the premises, which may not be the same as the date when you actually moved in or out.

In some cases the previous occupier, or the occupier’s representative, may have provided some information that may be incomplete, or that may be different to the information you’ve provided.

To help us bill you accurately and resolve any conflicts of information, we may ask for a photograph of your meter read or proof of tenancy e.g. a lease agreement, or a solicitor’s letter.

Why do you need my meter readings?

We use your meter readings to calculate your bill.

It means we can charge you for the energy you’ve used, rather than estimating your bill. It also means we can refund any credit balances we may owe you.

You should provide us with a meter reading as soon as you stop, or start, being legally responsible for the energy supply at your premises.

I've moved into premises supplied by British Gas business, what do I need to do?

How do I find out who supplies energy to my new premises?

The easiest way may be to ask the landlord or the previous owner/tenant. If they have a recent bill available, that could also give you the information you need.

If you can’t find out this way, visit the Energy Networks Association (ENA) website. There you’ll find all the details for finding out who supplies your business gas and electricity.

Useful pages