Getting a refund
My account is in credit. How do I get a refund?
If your bill is showing that you’re in credit, you can get a refund.
- To get it, you need to submit a meter reading so we can make sure your bill is accurate. If your account is in credit, we’ll refund the money.
The way we make the refund depends on the way you paid us:
If you paid by cheque or cash, we’ll send you a cheque
- If you paid by debit or credit card, we’ll refund the money to your card
- If you paid by Direct Debit, we’ll make the refund by BACS
- If you paid by electronic funds (such as BACS or faster payments), we’ll send you a cheque
If you have any British Gas business accounts with a debt, we’ll transfer the credit to pay off that account instead
- If you pay by Direct Debit, we’ll also look at whether your Direct Debit has been set at the right level and change it if we need to
- Before you move, you'll need to send us your final meter reading(s) along with your full contact details, including phone number and new business address.
- If you're moving and your account is in credit, follow the above process to get your final credit refunded.
To arrange a refund, please call us on 0800 652 4040 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm, Sat 9am-1pm.
Need more help?